Replies

Michael Bailey michael.lee.bailey at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 21:10:18 CST 2005

> From: jbor
> the connection between 19th C. Spiritualism and Freudian
> psychology which is being established here

Milton Gloaming's maybe the mediator of that connection - lots of
great scholarship into folklore even devolving into re-enactments like
the Golden Dawn Society, confronting the Freudian application -
analyze the spirits that way ("are they friendly spirits,
Bullwinkle?") rather than take them at face value; Gloaming, not
averse to lowering himself to taking shorthand (or, subject to budget
constraints) yet uses Zipf's Law, a very advanced tool

Glenn Scheper wrote:

> And it was all uphill* from there. Why,
> we are practically back to slap and tickle.
>
> (*In most good metaphors, MORE is UP.)

coolio!  Good for you, man!

> From: "Sean Mannion"
> Based on both my abortive false starts (many) and my current lurking
> around/reading of GR (finger's crossed while touching wood) I hope nobody
> seriously attempts this ('though it might just be worth it to see a major
> hollywood studio/financer bankrupted over it); it'd be interesting to see it
> treated as if a group of films rather than a single entity.

LOTR - 3 films, Harry Potter, 7 - Gravity's Rainbow, well it might
take quite a few
Gravity's Rainbow is a heckuva read, so I hope you persevere.  I read
it as a very immature young man, and since then have never read it
through, so I'm hoping to come closer to doing it justice now.

> From: kelber
> Kurtz, you say?  Perhaps Heart of Darkness should be added to your list.

or Apocalypse Now, saw that at a drive-in alone one time when my wife
was in the psych ward.  Twin-billed with Superfuzz (1980)  The young
lady who worked at the refreshment stand came running out to my car at
one point to tell me something, breasts bobbing memorably (like
Jessica Swanlake's when she throws the dart)
------------------------------

pynchonoid wrote

> http://www.lulu.com is the publishing on-demand
> service.  Looks relatively inexpensive to me.

lotsa good titles to read there, some have a free and a paid option.
Networking, among other subjects.  There's a CCNA study guide that can
be had free or paid, I've been dabbling with that.  Was minorly bummed
to fail the CCNA a few days ago.  In 2000 I passed 1st try but it's
tougher now
Why even bother with non-free non-GNU stuff?  Well, one's job, also to
see the product of and case for the closed-source side of the house,
Dreaming of being a gentle mediator

> Also, I recently read Kindred, a novel by Octavia E.
> Butler, about a contemporary Black woman who goes back
> in time to ante-bellum Maryland.  I found it
> compelling sci-fi, with a setting and story that may
> be of interest to other Mason & Dixon readers.

Speaking of Maryland, I found Arc de'X years ago, and bought it
because of the TRP blurb.  Strong stuff, I can't remember much of it
atm tho - but isn't some of it about Maryland?  Octavia Butler's
great!

> The more you dig, the more you find with Pynchon.
>
> Thanks very much for this, previous, and - I hope -
> future posts, Michael.

mon plaisir - and thanks for the pynchonoid website!

jbor added about Snoxall:
> It seems it's also the name of a parish in England, and a reasonably
> common family name:
>
> http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/david.snoxhill/Family%20History/
> PARISH%20RECORDS%20Births.htm
>
> The Alpha Index at the HyperArts site might help with the disentangling
> of characters, places, names etc:
>
> http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

ah, thanks!

--
"I'll paint rainbows, all over your blues" - John Sebastian