"The Evacuation still proceeds..." GR Part 1 Section 1

Paul Mackin paul.mackin at verizon.net
Thu Oct 27 10:51:03 CDT 2005

On Oct 27, 2005, at 9:42 AM, Tim Strzechowski wrote:

> I respectfully disagree, to the extent that although the Final
> Solution et al may not be "described" in detail, Nazi warfare is
> the stage of enough of the narrative to justify any Holocaust-
> related resonances within the novel.
>
> Tim

I don't really understand this statement. Could you clarify what you
mean?

Are you saying saying that it would be impossible to portray the
Nazis at war without also somehow portraying (off stage?) the Final
Solution? This would seem to me to be a very extreme position, even
though slave labor did play its part for the Axis side.

It is clear to everyone, isn't it,  that the war between the Allies
and the Axis powers  was NOT over the Final Solution.  Rather, it was
that the  Nazi war machine had consumed much of Europe, at one point
almost to the point of an all out invasion of the British Isles. The
fate of Europe was in the balance. The attempt on the part of the
Allies to reverse the disastrous situation  would have been the case
with or without the Death and Labor camps. And the effort of the
Nazis to hang on until the bitter end would  also have been the same
with or without them.

Forgive me if this is all too obvious and if I am somehow missing the
point.