Classic Books Re-packaged
Joe Allonby
joeallonby at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 19:20:34 CDT 2005
Yes, I'm a hopeless postmodernist who likes Japanese surrealists and posts
on Pynchon list. I am truly damned. Please, abuse away.
Peace,
Joe
On 9/22/05, Joel Katz <mittelwerk at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> this is disgusting. you should never have been allowed to read. now look
> at you.
>
>
>
> >From: Joe Allonby <joeallonby at gmail.com>
> >Reply-To: Joe Allonby <joeallonby at gmail.com>
> >To: Dave Monroe <monropolitan at yahoo.com>
> >CC: oilymicro at gmail.com, wmacfarl at gmail.com, pynchon-l at waste.org
> >Subject: Re: Classic Books Re-packaged
> >Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:32:35 -0400
> >
> >OK, now a politically incorrect response to all of this. I'm sure that
> you
> >will all hate me.
> >
> >When I was a young child in a working class home with both parents
> working
> >full time jobs, hard-cover editions of the classics were expensive. We
> ate
> >macaroni and cheese and I'm allergic to dairy products for
> >chrissfuckingsake.I had a library card and I was (with my sisters) not
> just
> >encouraged but required to go to the library and withdraw at least one
> book
> >per week. Still, it was important to have books actually in the home that
> >we
> >owned. So my parents mail-ordered the Readers Digest Condensed Classics.
> >Yes, they were inferior. I got to read works to which I would not have
> been
> >exposed otherwise. I'm sure that they were in my public library, but I
> wuld
> >not have taken it upon myself to look for them if I were unaware of their
> >existence.
> >
> >So, there is a place for this sort of thing.
> >
> >You may trash and flame me now.
> >
> >Peace,
> >Joe
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE!
> http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://waste.org/pipermail/pynchon-l/attachments/20050922/7664e300/attachment.html>
More information about the Pynchon-l
mailing list