Intelligent Design - the Creationists' Latest Wheeze

malignd at aol.com malignd at aol.com
Thu Sep 29 15:29:08 CDT 2005


<<Persuasive? plausibility? Which part of evolutionary theory is so 
persuasive or plausible?>>

Is this rhetorical or are you that stupid?

<<Atheism is a belief, btw. >>

No, it is not.

-----Original Message-----
From: jporter <jp3214 at earthlink.net>
To: pynchon-l at waste.org
Sent: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:26:06 -0400
Subject: Re: Intelligent Design - the Creationists' Latest Wheeze

   On Sep 29, 2005, at 9:53 AM, John Carvill wrote: 
 
 > 
  > Well just step right in and attack me, why don't you? I never used 
the 
  > word 'unscientific', I said ID was pseudo-science. We could argue on 
> and 
 > on about that. I wasn't really making 'points', I could sum up my 
 > reaction to ID as, "Aw, c'mon!" 
 > 
 > 
  > Well I haven't read the article you've linked to, but in any case I 
> only 
 > mentioned what the theory of evolution had done for religion, ie. 
  > provided a scientific alternative which is a good deal more 
persuasive 
 > than religion's supernatural mumbo jumbo, and has only increased in 
  > plausibility over time, which is the opposite of how religion has 
begun 
 > to lose its grip as humans have become more enlightened. 
 > 
 
 Persuasive? plausibility? Which part of evolutionary theory is 
  so persuasive or plausible? I think you're just reflexively 
genuflecting 
 to those "priests" of a lesser god, unless you'd care to get more 
 specific about that catechism. 
 
 >> Intelligent Design- which may well be a lousy theory- 
 > 
 > I don't really regard it as a theory at all, it's more of a ruse, a 
  > hustle, an attempt by the creationists to have their cake and eat 
it. 
 > They know that outright denials of evolution aren't washing so well 
 > these days so they've come up with a way of seemingly embracing 
 > evolution whilst in actuality subverting it. 
 > 
 
 Claiming that ID is bogus does not mean you know anything 
 about the theory of evolution, which means you're operating 
 on faith, unless you'd care to explain evolution. Your faith may 
 be justified by the facts, but that doesn't mean you have an 
 understanding of those facts, and won't be led astray in future. 
 
 >> they have found the truth- "a stick", as you say, 
 >> with which to beat their favorite devil. 
 > 
 > Im an athiest, and us yahoos don't believe in devils........ 
 > 
 
 But you like sticks. Atheism is a belief, btw. 
 
 jody 
 

    




More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list