AtD excerpt - "got-damn pinkinroller"

Paul Mackin paul.mackin at verizon.net
Sun Aug 6 13:42:31 CDT 2006

On Aug 6, 2006, at 1:09 PM, Tim Strzechowski wrote:

> And frankly I thought that line was the most amusing one of the
> passage.
>
> To what extent does Evangelicalism figure in P's family history?

Little or none I'd think.

My general impression is that Evangelical Christianity, although a
reaction against mainline Protestantism's tendency away from more
literal interpretation of Scripture as a result of  the
Enlightenment, had its main thrust in the  revivalist Great
Awakenings of  the 19th Century.  Doubt if the Pynchons had much to
do with  these. Never heard of the  Pynchons have anything to do
with  these but it might  possibly be.

Wasn't Thomas's grand uncle President of Trinity College in Hartford?
Mainline Protestant I believe. And Thomas's father married a Catholic.

Kind of odd for a wild west badman to be using the word evangelical.
More colloquial terms might have been revivalist.