AtD - well, whadda ya know ...

Chris Broderick elsuperfantastico at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 7 17:06:09 CDT 2006

Ya Sam sez:

By the way, it's quite possible that 'the novel about
the Civil War' so
much
rumoured about was not M&D but an altogether different
project.

So I sez:

As could be said about the many rumors concerning a
novel about Lewis and Clark that floated about before
M&D was published.

As for this whole 'millenium quartet' thing, One other
reason to separate Vineland & COL49 from the running
would be that they both feature "Mucho" Maas, and so
if one is to be included, then naturally, both should.

Ultimately this is all pretty immaterial.  Based on
his age, and considering how long takes Pynchon to
complete these things, I'd say that, unless
gerontological science develops at a fast clip, or TRP
suddenly transforms into Stephen King, he probably
only has one more book forthcoming after ATD, maybe 2
if we're really lucky.

And what exactly distinguishes these "millenium"
novels from the others?  Is it just page length, or is
there a common set of themes, rhetorical devices,
techniques, characters, etc. that these works are
supposed to share that are less evident in his other
works?  Considering that GR & M&D are the two that are
undisputably in the running for such a label, what do
they have in common that the other works don't?

-Chris

--- pynchon-l-digest
<owner-pynchon-l-digest at waste.org> wrote:

> pynchon-l-digest        Monday, August 7 2006
> Volume 02 : Number 4662
>

> NP: Vollmann on Journey to the End of the Night
> Re: AtD - well, whadda ya know ...
> Re: AtD - well, whadda ya know ...
> Re: AtD - well, whadda ya know ...
> Re: AtD - well, whadda ya know ...
> Re: AtD - well, whadda ya know ...
> AtD is in Books in Print, w/ title and new pg length
> Re: AtD - well, whadda ya know ...
> Re: AtD - well, whadda ya know ...

> Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 15:30:03 -0400
> From: jd <wescac at gmail.com>
> Subject: NP: Vollmann on Journey to the End of the
> Night
>
> I was in the bookstore browsing around and saw a new
> edition of
> Celine's Journey to the End of the Night on the
> shelf.  It had a four
> or five page afterword by Vollmann that was rather
> fun (beginning with
> "Reader, fuck you!" and ending with a quote from the
> book).  It was
> written unlike anything I've read by him before.  I
> can't find the
> text of it online but for you fans of either Celine
> or Vollmann, I'd
> reccomend at least reading it in the bookstore.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 22:49:35 +0300
> From: "Ya Sam" <takoitov at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: AtD - well, whadda ya know ...
>
> If Vineland is that failed project (still don't
> wanna believe it) then
> probably we'll have to satisfy ourselves with this
> quartet. I'm not sure
> that Pynchon will be able to write another BIG novel
> from scratch. It is
> ironic that Vineland as a salvaged Mothra novel
> should be so spectacularly
> Mothra-less. That novel is a maverick in Pynchon
> canon, longer than short
> pieces (and Lot 49 may be regarded as a very long
> short story) and much
> smaller than big novels, no wonder there are so many
> heated discussions
> around it. I prefer to suspend my judgement of this
> particular work as I
> still understand it too little in terms of its
> cultural background.
>
> >From: rich <richard.romeo at gmail.com>
> >To: "Ya Sam" <takoitov at hotmail.com>
> >CC: tyronemullet at hotmail.com, pynchon-l at waste.org
> >Subject: Re: AtD - well, whadda ya know ...
> >Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 15:27:15 -0400
> >
> >as has been noted b/4 maybe pynchon just ditched
> parts of that mothra book
> >and took remains for vineland
> >
> >V, GR, M&D, AtD--not a bad quartet I'd say ( I say
> I say I'll say after
> >I've
> >read that paartickulaar last'un)
> >
> >foghorn romeo
> >
> >On 8/7/06, Ya Sam <takoitov at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>Absolutely right, Pynchon mentions the four great
> novels inside his head
> >>after V. was published. Most probably he
> considered it just a rehearsal. I
> >>don't think Lot 49 was part of that scheme, as it
> [...]
=== message truncated ===