Capitals in M&D

pynchonoid pynchonoid at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 9 10:42:10 CDT 2006


Right, something like that.  I find it difficult to
believe that Pynchon just randomly capitalized some
words and not others, but figuring out what he *might*
be up to would represent a challenge. 


> My only quibble is that "not standardized" does not
> necessarily equal 
> "random." I doubt that the writers you cite would
> have described their 
> particular choices of what nouns to capitalize as
> "random." I would guess 
> they were likely following a scheme that made sense
> to them -- a personal 
> "code" if you will.
> 
> Steve Maas
> 
> Okay, let’s randomly select a page:
> 387 (these are the capitalized words, in order)
> 
> “Innocence Mitzi Scullery Boys Hair She’s Woods
> Blades Danger Souls Yet English Fisher-Boys Snow
> Inn’s Adonises Armand Paterfamilial Slack Louts
> Lately Winter She Chores Armand Kitchen Luise
> Fundamentals Soon Arcana French Haute Cuisine
> Poisoner Attitude Contempt Thousand Pot Le
> Gastreau’s Encyclopedia Pot-Lid Hobby Horse Armand’s
> Arrangement Off Pot Moon Phases Voltaire’s Gas
> As-tronomers The Rev The Frenchman With Lords Supper
> Food I I Body Blood Christ Bread Wine Eucharist
> Doctors Haimo Halberstadt Forms Gods Mercy”
> 
> Good luck!!!
>  -------------- Original message
> ----------------------
> From: "Steve Maas" <tyronemullet at hotmail.com>
> > My only quibble is that "not standardized" does
> not necessarily equal 
> > "random." I doubt that the writers you cite would
> have described their 
> > particular choices of what nouns to capitalize as
> "random." I would guess 
> > they were likely following a scheme that made
> sense to them -- a personal 
> > "code" if you will.
> > 
> > Steve Maas
> >

http://pynchonoid.org
"everything connects"

http://OnlineJournalist.org

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 



More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list