ATD: Dada in there?

Ya Sam takoitov at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 13 06:52:24 CDT 2006

As Pynchon writes in his intro to Slow Learner, he has been strongly
influenced by surrealism. The combination of incompatible, the staple of
surrealist aesthetics may be found many of his works. Now, officially
surrealism dates back to 1924, when Breton's manifesto was written. The
novel doesn't cover that period. I don't know whether the word was already
in currency before 1918, but as dadaism is considered to be the cradle of
surrealism, and taking into account the sheer wackiness of the movement, I
think that Pynchon will pay some attention to it, and maybe even insert a
pastiche of dadaist poetry.