Life Magazine 1966

robinlandseadel at comcast.net robinlandseadel at comcast.net
Sun Aug 27 07:38:07 CDT 2006


Yep. Showed up in September 1967, whith hair o-so-slightly over my shoulder and an instant greeting fron the school Dean, informing me that I was about to get a haircut.
 -------------- Original message ----------------------
From: Paul Mackin <paul.mackin at verizon.net>
> 
> On Aug 26, 2006, at 8:45 PM, robinlandseadel at comcast.net wrote:
> 
> > Altadena's in the hills (it started to get steep where I lived),
> 
> 
> You didn't happen to go to Eliot Jr. High School did you. High up on  
> Lake Avenue. Ot was that still in existence.
> 
> 
> > Pomona's to the east, with LaVerne (where I also lived) being even  
> > higher in the hills and close to Pomona. I was bought up  something  
> > like Prairie. Yes, I recall that the rotary engine was the big  
> > thing and there also was a lot of promotion for "2001", which came  
> > out two years later.
> >  -------------- Original message ----------------------
> > From: Steven <mcquaryq at comcast.net>
> >> 	I was twelve in '66 and read Popular Science closely -- it also had
> >> a futuristic bent back then.  Do you recall all the promo for the
> >> rotary combustion engine?  It was supposed to hearken a new age of
> >> efficiency  --  I don't think smog was even an issue then.  I went to
> >> the UC in Riverside in the early mid '70s and had a friend from
> >> Altadena, lovely town.  It's all in the hills, isn't it?
> >>
> >> 	And isn't the San Narciso Pynchon web page maintained from the
> >> Pomona Colleges?
> >>
> >> 	Steve-- were you brought up something like Frenesi?
> >>
> >> 	
> >> On Aug 26, 2006, at 2:31 AM, robinlandseadel at comcast.net wrote:
> >>
> >>> The window is between 1966-1967. I had my subscription to Popular
> >>> Science (a birthday gift from my grandmother[was, for some slimy
> >>> reason, really hoping for Scientific American. I figured it would
> >>> probably be over my head, but I'd be able to fake it anyway.])
> >>> while living in this really cool house on an incline in Altadena,
> >>> Ca. We had a huge open space as the kids collective bedroom (with a
> >>> few Japanese screens to separate the genders and a huge floor-
> >>> standing Edwardian Lamp to brighten the place up), featuring
> >>> different colored/styled carpet samples on the floor (along with a
> >>> general overhang of toxic vapors from the airplane-glue like cement
> >>> used to connect those samples to the concrete) and a tube-driven,
> >>> tabletop AM radio generally tuned to KRLA, firmly planted on a
> >>> dirty red square of inch-long shag. Spent the summer of '66 in
> >>> Watts. As I recall, had an interesting discussion of things
> >>> lysergic with one of the volunteers from the CCC, the daycare
> >>> program for the WLCAC (the Wat
> >>> ts Labor Community Action Committee). So, most likely 1966.
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > From: Steven <mcquaryq at comcast.net>
> > Date: August 26, 2006 3:46:48 PM EDT
> > To: robinlandseadel at comcast.net
> > Cc: Werner Presber <wernerpresber at yahoo.de>, Pynchon-L <pynchon- 
> > l at waste.org>
> > Subject: Re: Life Magazine 1966
> >
> >
> > 	I was twelve in '66 and read Popular Science closely -- it also  
> > had a futuristic bent back then.  Do you recall all the promo for  
> > the rotary combustion engine?  It was supposed to hearken a new age  
> > of efficiency  --  I don't think smog was even an issue then.  I  
> > went to the UC in Riverside in the early mid '70s and had a friend  
> > from Altadena, lovely town.  It's all in the hills, isn't it?
> >
> > 	And isn't the San Narciso Pynchon web page maintained from the  
> > Pomona Colleges?
> >
> > 	Steve-- were you brought up something like Frenesi?
> >
> > 	
> > On Aug 26, 2006, at 2:31 AM, robinlandseadel at comcast.net wrote:
> >
> >> The window is between 1966-1967. I had my subscription to Popular  
> >> Science (a birthday gift from my grandmother[was, for some slimy  
> >> reason, really hoping for Scientific American. I figured it would  
> >> probably be over my head, but I'd be able to fake it anyway.])  
> >> while living in this really cool house on an incline in Altadena,  
> >> Ca. We had a huge open space as the kids collective bedroom (with  
> >> a few Japanese screens to separate the genders and a huge floor- 
> >> standing Edwardian Lamp to brighten the place up), featuring  
> >> different colored/styled carpet samples on the floor (along with a  
> >> general overhang of toxic vapors from the airplane-glue like  
> >> cement used to connect those samples to the concrete) and a tube- 
> >> driven, tabletop AM radio generally tuned to KRLA, firmly planted  
> >> on a dirty red square of inch-long shag. Spent the summer of '66  
> >> in Watts. As I recall, had an interesting discussion of things  
> >> lysergic with one of the volunteers from the CCC, the daycare  
> >> program for the WLCAC (the Wat
> >> ts Labor Community Action Committee). So, most likely 1966.
> >
> 



-------------- next part --------------
An embedded message was scrubbed...
From: Paul Mackin <paul.mackin at verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Life Magazine 1966
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:51:32 +0000
Size: 14482
URL: <http://waste.org/pipermail/pynchon-l/attachments/20060827/d34e6b3d/attachment.mht>


More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list