The Devil in the White City

Tim Strzechowski dedalus204 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 13 22:41:49 CDT 2006

Re: The Devil in the White CityBekah, I have to agree.  I read Larson last year and was impressed not only with his telling of architecture tales (the Ferris wheel chapters are hysterical!), but also with the minutia of the events surrounding the Exposition. For example, how one of the constuction workers on the White City would go home each night and regale his family with descriptions of "this magical realm beside the lake" -- the construction worker was named Disney, whose young son Walt would absorb his father's every description! (Larson, 153)

Went to Millenium Park today with the sons. Although Ghetta posted something a few weeks back about the architectural notability of Chicago's newest park, I find it gaudy and aesthetically "busy," like the designer wanted to stick as many "clever" ideas into this confined space as possible.

Plus, a 16 oz. cup of lemonade is way too fucking expensive!

  From: bekah

  The Devil in the White City is a pretty good book from what I remember.   Larson is able to make architecture interesting . I never really did get the point of the mass murderer but they coincided in time and place,  the Chicago Fair and   Holmes.