breaking it down

Paul Mackin paul.mackin at verizon.net
Mon Jul 17 08:35:57 CDT 2006

On Jul 17, 2006, at 9:05 AM, Ghetta Life wrote:

> The whole description is very tougue-in-cheek, and a bit self-
> disparaging, which fits just right for Pynchon's voice.  He's
> always playing with people's expectations, and does make EVERYTHING
> into a joke of sorts.
>
> Ghetta

I agree. Moreover i don't think there is anything wrong with noticing
( you have to be pretty dense not to notice) that Pynchon cuts into
silly mode from time to time.  Both in fiction and in non-fiction. I
find this trait in him endearing because it's part of his essential
modesty. Way of admitting, in the present case,  that he doesn't know
quite know HOW to describe a piece of work he has spent a good chunk
of his limited life span in producing. Same with his other non-
fictional pronouncements. When he breaks into the old vaudeville
routine is like he's saying he doesn't really have the "answer" to
the world issues, no more than than any of the rest of us have.
Compare the way Pynchon answers serious/"serious"  questions to way
way Katy Couric does. Which do you prefer?

P.