Vineland

jbor at bigpond.com jbor at bigpond.com
Fri Mar 3 15:15:36 CST 2006

On 04/03/2006:

> [...] Frenesi dreamed of a mysterious people's oneness, drawing
> together toward the best chances of light, achieved once or twice that
> she'd seen in the street, in short, timeless bursts, all paths, human
> and projectile, true, the people in a single presence, the police
> likewise simple as a moving blade -- and individuals who in meetings
> might only bore or be pains in the ass here suddenly being seen to
> transcend, almost beyond will to move smoothly between baton and
> victim, to take the blow instead, to lie down on the tracks as the
> iron rolled in or look into the gun muzzle and maintain the power of
> speech -- there was no telling, in those days, who might unexpectedly
> change this way, or when. Some were in it, in fact, secretly for the
> possibilities of finding just such moments. (117-8)

It's probably worth quoting the passage in full, as it's one which gets
cited alot as being central to the concerns of the novel (e.g.,
Berger's "Cultural Trauma and the Timeless Burst" essay). Frenesi's
enthusiasm for violence and martyrdom here is a little bit creepy,
reducing the conduct and whole idea of social protest to an
abstraction. It's almost a fascist vision in itself (think Italian
Futurism).

Note the way that Pynchon distances himself from many of the '60s
protesters ("Some were in it ... ") as he also does in the SL Intro;
and then DL goes on to admit that she's only really into it for "the
asskicking", which seems a much more honest and self-aware response in
the context than either Frenesi's visionary nonsense or the "some" who
were "secretly" in it for the adrenaline rush. While readers might not
be sure whether or not they "like" Frenesi, I think it's certain enough
that we do like DL. And it's Pynchon who's engineering these responses
to his central characters.

I think Frenesi's character is developed enough: the chapter where
she's living off a government protection handout with Flash, and the
chapters dealing with her time in 24fps and affair with Brock, leading
up to her facilitating Weed's murder, and then the birth of Prairie,
and finally her escape from the reeducation camp and her break with
Brock, show us a very complex personality. There's no "Stockholm
Syndrome" about it -- along every step of the way she's fully aware of
what she's doing. She's entirely a free agent when she decides to run
with her sexual instincts with Brock, later trying to rationalise it
away to herself as some hereditary uniform fetish (note that Brock
doesn't even wear a uniform). But I think it's precisely because of
this depth of characterisation that we do feel sympathy towards
Frenesi, as being human, conflicted, unable to resist her sexual urges,
her post-partum depression, racked by guilt and self-loathing and yet
still carrying on with the betrayals of everyone around her. She's at
least as sympathetic as Zoyd, probably more so in parts (especially
when he stalks her all the way to Hawaii, and actually makes up her
mind for her to go back to Brock one more time.)

We've been through it before, I know, but Pynchon's depiction of the
24fps crew is where his satiric caricatures are at their most acerbic.
They're deliberately depicted as a bunch of nitwits, which, for
whatever reasons, quite a few readers seem to want to gloss over.

best