And The National Book Award

John Pendergast jpender at siue.edu
Thu Nov 16 11:25:53 CST 2006

I'm having a totally different experience with the book -- it is the first book in years I put down vowing to never return to. I realize now that I might have been too quick (I was reading it on a long train ride, using it as an excuse not to work on a more pressing revision project).  It seemed to be exclusively plot-driven - there was little or no artistry to the language and the main character seemed, well, flat. And if it's going where I think it's going, as a parody of popular science writing, then it's really predictable.

I also started reading it at the same time I was finishing Dylan's Chronicles, which I was prepared to dislike, but liked immensely, namely because it was none to the things I suggested about Power's book.