AtD -- Traverse

robinlandseadel at comcast.net robinlandseadel at comcast.net
Tue Nov 21 16:17:50 CST 2006

" 2. To cross by way of opposition; to thwart with obstacles;
      to obstruct; to bring to naught.
      [1913 Webster]

            I can not but . . . admit the force of this
            reasoning, which I yet hope to traverse. --Sir W.
                                                  Scott."

Traverse \Trav"erse\, n. [F. traverse. See {Traverse}, a.]
   1. Anything that traverses, or crosses. Specifically:
      [1913 Webster]
      (a) Something that thwarts, crosses, or obstructs; a cross
          accident; as, he would have succeeded, had it not been
          for unlucky traverses not under his control.
          [1913 Webster]

The Counterforce

7. (Law) To deny formally, as what the opposite party has
      alleged. When the plaintiff or defendant advances new
      matter, he avers it to be true, and traverses what the
      other party has affirmed. To traverse an indictment or an
      office is to deny it.
      [1913 Webster]

      (e) (Law) A formal denial of some matter of fact alleged
          by the opposite party in any stage of the pleadings.
          The technical words introducing a traverse are absque
          hoc, without this; that is, without this which
          follows.
          [1913 Webster]

            And save the expense of long litigious laws,
            Where suits are traversed, and so little won
            That he who conquers is but last undone. --Dryden.

As in the indicted Anarchists and unindicted Plutes.