AtD (SPOILER pg. 978, 1081)Re: Speculations

robinlandseadel at comcast.net robinlandseadel at comcast.net
Mon Nov 27 20:44:02 CST 2006

><

There's a stamp from Shamhbala in someone's collection
that is either deliberately substituted by forces unseen (and unspoken)
or a magical transmutation transpired: something possible in AtD's multiverse.
However you want to interpret this scene, I take it as referencing
"The Crying of Lot 49". There are many sprinkled references throughout
Against the Day to things that bump up against the Trystero, (like the use
of Trieste as seeming center of European activities) but the system itself is
never named. There are postage stamps that could not exist save as mocking
frauds, perhaps the most mocking on page 1081, mocking COL49 in a way,
the potstage stamp on 978-979 even moreso.

From: "David Morris" <fqmorris at gmail.com>