atd dissapointment

Jordan Fink jordan at riseup.net
Thu Nov 30 22:32:13 CST 2006

Well, Bob,

I'd just have to say that for every Pynchon book, you gotta do the
research to understand the era. Once you do that, then you know what he's
talking about and it's easier to get through. I didn't like M&D the first
time I tried it. so I sat down and read everything I could about Mason and
Dixion and the EIC and colonial america. Then I sat down again with a pint
of stout and read it outloud for about half the book- it really helped me
get the tone and meter.

Pynchon is one of those writers who is so detailed that he seems like
nonsense if you are even skimming a little, but once you read every single
word, it begins to come together.

I found the first 80 or so pages a little weird and then it clicked and
suddenly i got it, the language opened up and became clear and beautiful,
the interactions and the people more real then the people who share my
home with me. Time itself and history itself became a character.

Unless you get back on the horse and climb over that next ridge, Bob, you
don't know what you are missing.

warmly,
jordan