Meine Liebschen

robinlandseadel at comcast.net robinlandseadel at comcast.net
Tue Oct 31 11:03:32 CST 2006


I'd just like to give a Samhain shout-out to my all-time favorite Pynchon character, Geli Tripping:

"Love never goes away,
Never completely dies,
Always some souvenir
Takes us by sad surprise.

You went away from me
One rose was left behind—
Pressed in my Book of Hours,
That is the rose I find. . . .

Thought it's another year,
Though it's another me,
Under the rose is a drying tear,
Under my linden tree. . . .

Love never goes away,
Not if it's really true,
It can return, by night, by day,
Tender and green and new
As the leaves from a linden tree, love,
   that I left with you"

"   She's thin, a bit awkward, very young. Nowhere in her eyes is there any sign of corrosion—she might have spent all her War roofed and secure, tranquil, playing with small forest animals in a rear area someplace."

"   "My owl," sez Geli. "Wernher. There's  a candy bar in the top drawer of the chiffonier, Liebchen, would you mind feeding him?""

   "Oh, Then I imagine you wouldn't be looking for Rocket Number 00000 after all. It was just a silly idea I had. I'm sorry."

   "I think I have tendencies. Have you been up to the Brocken yet?"

    "You'll learn. It's all been suspended. Vaslav calls it an 'interregnum.' You only have to flow along with it."

"   "Tchitcherine trained him to do that, right?"
   ""Wrong! I trained him to do that." She's smiling at him so four-year-old happy and not holding a thing back, that Slothrop decides to believe everything she's been telling him.   "



More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list