Webb Traverse

robinlandseadel at comcast.net robinlandseadel at comcast.net
Mon Apr 16 20:45:40 CDT 2007

         Laura Kelber:
         The death of Webb Traverse is THE central episode
         in the book.  Every review (I think) mentions it.  Any
         attempt to describe what ATD is about (not in terms
         of themes, but in terms of what happens in the book)
         would have to mention the life and death of Webb
         Traverse.  He's the closest thing to Slothrop the book
         has:  appearing in spirit, if not actually on the page,
         throughout the book.

One of the odd things about making Webb such an interesting, "rounded"
character, is that the net result is a bit like Hitchcock's "Psycho", where the
ostensible protagonist is offed after two reels. It leaves a gaping hole in the
story, one that demands to be filled.

         Laura:
         On p. 187, TRP writes of the Kiselguhr Kid (who may,
         of course, be Webb Traverse):

Again, let's take the author at his word. Imagine, if only for a moment, that
Webb Traverse is the Kiselguhr Kid, that what went down the baroom is
exactly what went down, that it was Webb who blew up Lou. There's some
really weird karmic exchange going on here, as Webb's act of blowing Lew
Baslight up ends up blowing Lew into the welcoming arms of Neville and
Nigel from T.W.I.T. and Webb into the arms of Deuce and Sloat from
(ultimately) the Vibes.

         Laura:
         "...sometimes it was like he was out there, a spirit
         hovering just over the nearest ridgeline, the
         embodiment of a past obligation that would not let him
         [Lew] go but continued to haunt, to insist."

         This could be a description of Webb's effect on his
         children.

It's also a description of Webb's effect  upon Lew, even moreso than on
Webb's children.

         Laura:
         What I wonder is, did TRP mean Webb's death to be so
         central to the story, or did it become that because of the
         laconic, reader-friendly writing style of the Western
         episodes?  Any thoughts on this, anyone?

The first time I read Against the Day, I bombed through it as a pressed reviewer
would, except as a "Psychical Detective"---Much like Lew or Oedipa---I would tag
lines with multicolored colored post-its to track different varieties of spoor.

In the first reading, the Death of Webb registered as the central event in the
book. In the second reading, Kit's journey registers as the primary vein of
Gold,  In this third---and considerably slower---reading, Lew's story is
emerging as the most interesting and revelatory story thread, with arrows
pointing to threads from Gravity's Rainbow, the threads I found most interesting
in what is, so far, generally regarded as Pynchon's best novel.

Purple is the color for the Spiritual and the Occult, and the section near Lew's
blast and subsequent recovery are covered in purple post-its. I would go so far
as to say that we are given some clue as to Webb's magical intent when we
are introduced to him. Perhaps that has some bearing on the direction that Lew
was thrown into. Or maybe it was the Cyclomite, Nicholas Nookshaft would
doubtless say both were responsible, along with Lew's superb reflexes and
keen thought processes.