Atdtda23: [46.1i] A passionate heart, 653

Monte Davis monte.davis at verizon.net
Fri Dec 14 12:48:08 CST 2007

Laura sez:

> Haven't read any Lovecraft.  Which book do you recommend?

Try the novella "At the Mountains of Madness," available in several
collections. I don't actually recommend anything, in that I've never had
much urge to re-read him since devouring his oeuvre ~40 years back, but
others seem to get more mileage. He had an unmatched but exceedingly narrow
talent for a very specific mood of horror, which is captured pretty well in
P's peculiar *evasiveness* about what the Vormance thing was and did.

"Those who claim to have heard it speak as it made its escape are now safely
away in the upstate security of Matteawan... languages long dead to the
world... that awful witness" (145) " is pure Lovecraft.