learned while // Pynchon's imputed politics

David Morris fqmorris at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 09:35:28 CDT 2007

Thanks.  A very thoughtful post, and an interesting new framework for
discussion.  I very much agree with your framework here, which is why
I've always thought that Pynchon primarily loves to deal with
abstractions (theories) piled up in layers, meshing and contrasting.
Nothing, ultimately, has to be resolved or makes sense in practical
terms.  It's thinking, contemplation, expanding mindedness that is his
realm.  This is precisely why I asked the question re. anarchism and
liberalism and Pynchon's politics..

So, yes, Pynchon is free to create fictional "models" of "reality,"
and there are many in AtD.  Some, though, like his Anarchist Village
are downright embarrassing in their naivete.

David Morris