AtDtDA: 31 - 864-865

Bekah Bekah0176 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 22 08:03:28 CDT 2008

Well,  I'll just send what I have for now:

864:   Cyprian is back in Venice - he says he's looking for Theign to
seek revenge for Vlado's killing,  but really,  he's looking for
Yashmeen who isn't in Trieste where he left her.

864.6:  galleggianti - boat or barge houses.

864.20: Cyprian was moving in a stunned vacuum his skin could not
successfully define.  (Great typical Pynchonian sentence.)

864.26:  traghetto - ferry-boat

page 865:

865.4:   "Some reap the whirlwind he was left to glean the
undelineated fog."
"reap the whirlwind..."
reaping the whirlwind is to have serious problems because you did
something stupid in the past
"They sow the wind and reap the whirlwind" Hosea 8:7  (essentially
the same meaning - we bear the consequences of our own actions)

Venice fog:    http://www.venice-art-tours.com/Traghetto%20Fog.JPG

865.6  "Now when he needed a clever plan, his mind was become all
staring Arctic vacancy."
Question:   is there any reason for the word Arctic - it seems
allusionary.

865.10  a mug's game -  dictionary:  an activity that will not make
you happy or successful.   (me - a fool's errand)
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/mug's+game

865. 13 Webley-Fosberry service revolver (probably been covered
earlier but ... )
it's a little British hand-gun -
http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20britannique/webley/aa%20images%20webley
%20gb.htm

865.17   "Cazzo cazzo"   literally it means penis, penis,  but it's
slang means something akin to damn.

865.19 -  "cicerone"  tour guide

865. 19 "The bora howled among the chimney's as if amused."

Bora (Croatian: bura, Slovenian: burja) is a northern to north-
eastern katabatic wind in the Adriatic, Greece and Turkey. Its name
derives from the Greek mythological figure of Boreas, the North Wind.

Also see Glenn Scheper's post of 12 Feb 2008  Subject: ATDTDA 739 - 741
Definitions of bora on the Web:
A cold katabatic wind that originates in Yugoslavia and flows onto
the coastal plain of the Adriatic Sea.
www.wrcc.dri.edu/ams/glossary.html

a regional downslope wind whose source is so cold that it is
experienced as a cold wind, despite  compression warming as it
descends the lee slope of a mountain range.
www.met.utah.edu/Members/whiteman/Glossary.html

865: 25  "Macché..."    =  No way -   (what is the "nell" used next
here?)

865: 25 -  "Inglesi"   -  Englishman

865: 27  "calle of the traghetto"   street of the ferry -  canal?

865: 28   "Santa Lucia Station"  railway station on the canal
http://arglist.com/cgi-bin/image?gallery=venice&name=20050524-004

****