ATDTDA (33) - p. 924-6 peyote

Michael Bailey michael.lee.bailey at gmail.com
Wed May 21 07:08:37 CDT 2008

 laura asked:

>  For those who have indulged, a question:  in the first very long sentence ("Before too long >... view the sky."), is Pynchon perhaps describing a peyote vision he himself had, or are we >meant to parse the literal meaning of Frank's vision?

well, I only had them the once, from a friend with a lot more experience
and really have nothing substantive (or superstantive)
to offer on that...I told somebody the story of it once and they were
underwhelmed:
"well, most people throw up behind them.  I didn't.  But of all the nasty
tastes in the world, they must be pretty close to the top...what did I see?
well I'm always seein' weird shit..."

but the Vision of the City - I would think most of us gringos have had it:
in dreams or after a school lesson on the native americans -
where you are living in a pre-Columbian city? as one of them?
and you wake to a feeling of only-just-bearable loss?
doesn't it sound familiar?