Editing Pynchon?

Tore Rye Andersen torerye at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 5 09:53:30 CDT 2009

John Bailey:

> And - uh - now that we all conceivably have access to IV, we can
> discuss the variance between the pre-released excerpt and the final
> copy of chapter one. The differences seem minor to me, but it's
> interesting that someone was still making such minor changes in the
> last few months before publication.

There are also many differences - some minor, some not so minor - between
the Advance Reading Copies and the final, published version. Pynchon seems
to be a dedicated rewriter, and the differences between the ARC and the final
version are in fact more substantial than the differences between the ARCs and
final versions of both M&D and AtD.

Tore