aw. RE: Why did Elser plant the bomb?

Michael Bailey michael.lee.bailey at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 08:51:45 CST 2009

Kai Frederik Lorentzen wrote:

> This was, obviously, an answer to the Stauffenberg thread.
> That you compare fictional Vond to all-too-real Hitler, is scary.

That part of my comment is overstated, true.

> And: Do you really think that Elser's attempt was morally wrong?!?

I'm a pacifist, as far as I have thought it through.
I wouldn't plan a similar deed, just from a distaste for violence.

 History also tells us that successful assassinations bring on
horrible retribution and do little to change policy.

Also, he killed people he did not target.  And didn't get his target.

Further, whatever non-violent resistance he might have done instead,
was left undone.

Nonetheless, on a human level, he has my full sympathy and some admiration.
(which also goes out to DL in her activities, though she's fictional)

--