NP: "Chronic City"

Kevin Dunn kevindunn27 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 08:25:09 CDT 2009

Anyone here a Lethem fan? I got my hands on an advance copy of his new
novel "Chronic City," and, though I'm not that far into it, I can say
it's already turning out to be his best. I has the most meaning for
those living in, or this who haves lived, in Manhattan, as the novels
uses that local as part if it's conceit.

  "We faced one another, mid-Wednesday Manhattan throngs islanding us
in their stream." (pg. 5)

"To live in Manhattan is to be persistently amazed at the worlds
squirreled inside one another, the chaotic intricacy with which realms
interleave, like those lines of television cable and fresh water and
steam heat and outgoing sewage and telephone wire abd whatever else
which cohabit in the same intestinal holes that pavement-demolishing
workmen periodically wrench open to the daylight and to our passing,
disturbed glances" (pg.7)

What Manhattanite does not relate?

Sent from my iPhone