COL49 - THEY?

Paul Mackin mackin.paul at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 16:29:01 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: <kelber at mindspring.com>
To: <pynchon-l at waste.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 3:30 PM
Subject: COL49 - THEY?

> Any other views of who THEY might be in COL49?  The THEY who hold Oedipa
> in her tower?  Mark says societal forces.  Hollander would identify them
> as the CIA?  What about the THEY who reveal the Tristero to her?  I say
> some sort of analog for Maxwell's Demon -- all going on in Oedipa's mind
> as she stays locked in her tower.  ANy other takes on either out there?
>
> Laura

We may fear or suspect  that some semi-omnipotent force is controlling our
lives, with our own actions counting for little. .

'They' is the personification of whatever we feel we have lost control of.

Pynchon's special take is that we cannot be trusted to generate our own
anxieties, fears and suspiciouns but must have them officially prescribed by
'They." Presumably in order to serve their own ends.

As a counterbalance an effective we-system must be in place.

Or maybe it's truer to say that we can't know who 'They' are.

. It's the  postmodern condition.