Alice in Wonderland redux

Johnny Marr marrja at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 10:41:58 CDT 2009

Yes, a rare example of even Kubrick giving in to censorship/social mores.

As I think I've mentioned before I just find Lolita too young to really
convince myself that a man of the sophistication and wit of HH would be so
entranced by her. Actually I think it may have been on this forum that
someone suggested that part of the macabre genius of the novel is that HH is
a mad but gifted poet, who writes as beautifully as possible in order to
convince us and himself that Dolores Haze is a modern day Venus rather than
a stub-fingered bubblegum chewing pre-pubescent.