Pynchon's reply

Michael Bailey michael.lee.bailey at gmail.com
Mon May 18 05:43:24 CDT 2009

against my usual habit, I'm top-posting here.
Rob's thoughts (thotz?) are savory, and my reactions don't really fit
inline responding, but I do have some "thotz" that are somewhat
related.

I also have had some friendly off-list correspondence with The Dude,
and certainly don't begrudge him the 14,4 that I think Tore stated the
letter went for.
Having the, what-d-ye-call-it, holograph? of the letter would be a
thrill for a collector...
the thrill for me (if I were Hollander) would be having had the
response, not so much holding the paper.

So it's a mutually beneficial transaction.
If I had such a letter - I would probably eventually sell it myself.

The reason being, is, (don't you love that locution?) it isn't the
response I exactly would have wanted.  But I would eventually come to
agree with it...
that is to say, if I developed theories about an author's writing, and
approached the author with them, what is he supposed to do or say?

I mean, if they are crap theories, the man should just ignore them and
their author.

If they are well-thought-out, then they belong in the realm of
"writing-about" - and they have been placed there now, and I think
they adorn that place.

But what would you have him say? "Let's get together and discuss my books"
-- no, instead he says something much more generous: "I think you could write"

------ here's a passage from The Modern Word where he also encouraged
another writer:
"He wanted to show my short story to his New York agent, but, before
he had the chance, I rolled the manuscript up and set it on fire like
a torch in the night as I bicycled nude down the main drag. Ervin had
just paid the rent on my flat in Redondo beach to give me an
opportunity to finish the piece. When I told him that it had all gone
up in smoke, he wasn't upset, and he went on to say that destroying my
work had tremendous positive connotations, telling him that I wasn't
egocentric about my writing and could walk away from it any time I
wanted."
(for "Ervin" read TRP)
http://themodernword.com/pynchon/pynchon_biography.html -------

But since writing fiction wasn't what Mr H would wind up doing, the
letter would not be something he would want to keep forever like the
"first dollar bills" you see up on restaurant walls sometimes.

At least, that's how I unpack it.

--
"For the moment not caring who you're supposed to be registered as.
For the moment anyway, no longer who the Caesars say you are." - GR, p