Pynchon/Hollander

Chris Broderick elsuperfantastico at yahoo.com
Mon May 18 11:17:27 CDT 2009

Robin sez:

Is it conceivable that Pynchon actually has trouble drawing from his own experiences or from the life around him for fictional material?

So I say:

First, hi after a long absence.  Second, I really doubt this.  I've heard enough anecdotal evidence of people claiming that this, that or another character are based on them, or that events were based on events in his life.  Third, any novelist doing anything with narrative is going to incorporate bits of his/her life into their writing.  It's nearly impossible not to do it.  Small wonder his later novels have more to do with family after he himself has developed his own.  I do think that he is nobody's idea of a confessional novelist, creating little pynchons in his books.  But they must resonate with elements of his own life, or he would be a much poorer writer than he is.

Chris Broderick
www.myspace.com/christophermichaelbroderick

"A good laugh is the best pesticide."
-Vladimir Nabokov