The crying of x^2 + xy + y^2 = 49

David Morris fqmorris at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 08:17:19 CDT 2009

More or less correct.

Four is a doubling of doubles, like a double yin-yang.  Two is a more
basic "archetypal number" (though I don't think Jung would ever call
it that).  When two springs out a third through the natural
interaction of the two an imbalance causes the three to seek a fourth
to restore balance again.  But the interaction of more than one pair
of opposite could just as easily become 6, 8, 10, and so on.  It's
just that things get increasingly more difficult to keep track of.
The I Ching, though, is a supreme example of such a keeping track, and
it also keeps track of the odd-number transitions from 1 up to 64.

David Morris