IV, Music, Headphones, iPods, etc.

Tore Rye Andersen torerye at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 30 02:50:48 CDT 2009

John:

> Do we think Pynhcon likes otehr types of music? Of course,
> indisputably. But I don't think his opinion on Rock & Roll has soured
> since he wrote the Slow Learner intro.

I gotta side with John, here. If Pynchon is critical of Rock & Roll in
IV, that criticism is surely tempered with a Whole Lotta Love, as Led
Zeppelin always sez. Take a look at this excerpt from Pynchon's liner
notes to Lotion's "Nobody's Cool":

"The recording studio is half a block from the subway. Times Square is
being vacated and jackhammered into somebody's idea of an update. Next
door to Peepland, up in a control room out of The Jetsons, the band,
between takes, are discussing Bobby "Boris" Pickett, on whose 1962 hit
"Monster Mash" it turns out Rob's substitute music teacher in elementary
school played saxophone. Everybody here knows the record, not necessarily
the Birth of Rap, less an influence than something trying to find a pathway
through to us here in our own corrupted and perilous day, when everybody's
heard everything and knows more than they wish they did. It's never certain
how these things will be carried on, but mysteriously it happens. Every night,
somewhere on the outlaw side of some town, below some metaphysical 14th Street,
out at the hard edges of some consensus about what's real, the continuity is
always being sought, claimed, lost, found again, carried on. If for no other
reason, rock and roll remains one of the last honorable callings, and a working
band is a miracle of everyday life. Which is basically what these guys do."

...one of the last honorable callings, and a miracle of everyday life....
One would almost think the guy actually loves Rock & Roll.