AtD/VL: The Traverse Clan

Mark Kohut markekohut at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 05:51:12 CST 2010

C-mon, y'all...partner up with Laura via a response or three to this interesting
question, eh? Ishmael Reed's got nothing on Against the Day--or Vineland.

I gave one general response. Here's a more particular attempt at an answer to
her question below.

First. ALL the descendants of Webb embody the sins of the father in the
unfolding of Against the Day, I say (controversially) again. All. Sons and
daughters.   Tackle.

Second. Because women are still different in Pynchon---from V. thru Against the
Day. Almost metaphysically different (in the fiction), let me say pretentiously.
Fundamentally different in their being in the world, to second my own
pretension, which is why Laura can say they are presented as the Enemies of
Labor/progressive activism. They can't even be in the movement............

There, have at such opinions. I bet Ishmael might even agree.

What I don't get is why Pynchon sets up the Traverse women, Lake and Frenesi, as
the Enemies of Labor/progressive activism.  Can't think of any real-life
counterparts, although American labor history is full of male union official
sell-outs - to government redbaiting, corporate "sharing" and mafia coercion.
Probably the most famous case of male perfidy:  James McParlan vs. the Molly
Maguires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_McParlan

Laura