more prolegomena to V. : 1962 and more 1963

Mark Kohut markekohut at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 18:51:14 CDT 2010

MK changes Ian to:
But if V. was largely finished in '61...?

    * That he {Burgess] had overheard the phrase "as queer as a clockwork orange" in a London pub in 1945 and assumed it was a Cockney expression.¹ In Clockwork Marmalade, an essay published in the Listener in 1972, he said that he had heard the phrase several times since that occasion. However, no other record of the expression being used before 1962 has ever appeared.[4] Kingsley Amis notes in his Memoirs (1991) that no trace of it appears in Eric Partridge's Dictionary of Historial Slang.
    * His second explanation was that it was a pun on the Malay word orang, meaning "man". However, the novel contains no other Malay words or links.[4]
    * In a prefatory note to A Clockwork Orange: A Play with Music, he wrote that the title was a metaphor for "...an organic entity, full of juice and sweetness and agreeable odour, being turned into an automaton."[4] In his essay, "Clockwork Oranges" ², Burgess asserts that "this title would be appropriate for a story about the application of Pavlovian or mechanical laws to an organism which, like a fruit, was capable of colour and sweetness". This title alludes to the protagonist's positively conditioned responses to feelings of evil which prevent the exercise of his free will.

Again, I think I remember TRP finding and expressing lacks in Partridge's Dictionary.....

Burgess's mistress, Lhianna Marcella, I think, later his wife, was a TRP reader and later translated GR, I believe. She "met" Anthony via his writing (when
she recognized the similarity in two pseudonymous early works he sent when she was with a publisheror agent) but they did not seem to meet in person until 1963. However, who knows whether she and Candida, TRP's agent, exchanged any manuscripts manuscripts?

That pavlovian or mechanical laws metaphor SURE came alive in GR...with or without the word "clockwork"...for exactly those free will or wha? reasons....so to speak.

And the phrase 'clockwork universe' came from Descartes, that Enlightment rationalist whom TRP gleefully savages in AtD...
Descartes' universe was a mechanical ('wind-up') clockwork robot universe, with energy only as the property of matter being in motion and nothing other than ...
www.new-science-theory.com/rene-descartes.html- Cached- Similar

A notable exclusion from this theory [Clockwork Universe theory] though is free will, since all things have already been set in motion and are just parts of a predictable machine. Newton feared that this notion of "everything is predetermined" would lead to atheism[citation needed].

undermined by one of our favorite Pynchon concepts:

This theory was undermined by the second law of thermodynamics ( the total entropy of any isolated thermodynamic system tends to increase over time, approaching a maximum value) and quantum physics with its unpredictable random behavior.

--
"liber enim librum aperit."