V-2 - Chapter 9 - Clockwork Eye

Dave Monroe against.the.dave at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 09:00:22 CDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Dave Monroe <against.the.dave at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Robin Landseadel
> <robinlandseadel at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Her clockwork eye.
>
> http://waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l&month=0104&msg=54587
>
> http://waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l&month=0104&msg=54593
>
> Cf. ...
>
> http://waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l&month=0612&msg=112844

>From Mario Praz, The Romantic Agony (2nd ed., trans. Angus Davidson,
New York: Oxford UP, 1951 [1933]), Appendix I, "Swinburne and 'Le Vice
Anglais,'" pp. 415-33 ...

"The mixture of flowers and instruments of torture is to be found also
in O. Mirbeau's Jardin des supplices (written in 1898-9); but in this
the English sadist is a woman instead of a man, a woman with eyes
'verts, pailletes d'or', like here 'diabolical' sister described by
Barbey d'Aurevilly in the Dessous de cartes, the Comtesse de
Stasseville ('ces deux emeraudes, striees de jaune ...').  Eyes of
this type seem to be a regular characteristic of the sadists in the
works we are discussing...." (425)

I.e., "green, sequined with gold" and "two emeralds, streaked with
yellow."  Further, exhaustive examples, discussion nigh unto ad
nauseam @, e.g., ...

http://waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l&month=0104&msg=54593

"The woman's eyes are green ('les deux etoiles vertes de ses
regards'), as is usual in such cases (the eyes of sadistic characters
in popular Romantic literature are, as a rule, green)...." (Praz, p.
313)

http://waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l&month=0104&msg=54593

http://waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l&month=0011&msg=51217

http://waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l&month=0011&msg=51254

http://waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l&month=0106&msg=56584

http://waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l&month=0106&msg=56870

http://waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l&month=0312&msg=87806

   "Renata was gazing at him thoughtfully from huge eyes of a curious
verdigrised bronze color." (AtD, Pt. I, p. 252)

Main Entry: ver·di·gris
Pronunciation: 'v&r-d&-"grEs, -"gris, -gr&s also -"grE
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English vertegrese, from
Anglo-French verdegrece, vert de Grece, literally, green of Greece
1 a : a green or greenish-blue poisonous pigment resulting from the
action of acetic acid on copper and consisting of one or more basic
copper acetates b : normal copper acetate Cu(C2H3O2)2·H2O
2 : a green or bluish deposit especially of copper carbonates formed
on copper, brass, or bronze surfaces

http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=verdigris

http://waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l&month=0612&msg=112844