I'm gonna ask the question....

Paul Mackin mackin.paul at verizon.net
Tue Apr 12 15:56:55 CDT 2011

On 4/12/2011 4:08 PM, Erik T. Burns wrote:
> A very common reaction to religious chatter!

A touchy subject for sure.  More so in America than Europe, where
religion is mostly a museum piece (except for new entrants). Correct me
if I'm wrong.

Where I live religion isn't a very big factor.  There are a few
Episcopalians but they keep quiet about it.

I sort of got  interested in early Christian history a long time ago.
Don't claim to know that much, but back in the 50s when I was in a TB
sanatorium run by the Maryknoll  sisters one of the good ladies provided
me with books from the little library they had there.  The selection was
limited but one of my favorites was the Catholic Encyclopedia.  She
brought it to me volume by volume.  The books were heavy but she was a
husky girl. What a stormy past the Church of Rome had had.  Perhaps
Gaddis had a similar experience to help develop his interest.

P.