TRTR, Pt2, C2 More mermaid musing

Mark Kohut markekohut at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 23 19:12:43 CDT 2011

I loved and practically memorized The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock once
upon a time.....and I confirmed that major meaning of mermaids' lines/trope is
that Prufrock can not connect in love....is locked into his own self-centered self (so to speak)

and I remembered that when I read Fuller on p. 347   "it seem an impractical measure, to lock up the whole world"
---Yes, but....you lock it out. You can lock it out.
----Can you, sar? Fuller looked up at the face suddenly turned upon hi,---Seem like such a measure serve no good purpose, sar.."
and more.

We know Gaddis was hugely influenced by Eliot.....

But, if you want cause and effect and not just not-quite-free association, it ain't me, babe....