TRTR: Racking my brain over The Rackignitons....

Paul Mackin mackin.paul at verizon.net
Wed Jun 22 10:29:58 CDT 2011

On 6/22/2011 11:08 AM, Mark Kohut wrote:
> yeah, paul, true but I wondered why it is not even mentioned since
> anti-Americanness
> as a charge ought to be in play with some of those intellectuals....

All I can guess is that Gaddis' intellectuals were not in the public
eye, not as were Hollywood  or Broadway  writers and actor or prominent
teachers or clergymen,  people in a position to influence mass
audiences,  and therefore not worth McCarthy's efforts.

Gaddis' people weren't really players, as they say.  Self important only.

Don't think Gaddis himself could have been very concerned that his work
would be noticed and castigated by  the anti-communist demogogues of the
day.  Too high brow.  Same goes for Pynchon a little later.