NP: 1Q84

Allan Balliett allan.balliett at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 12:48:12 CST 2011


As an exercise in Free Will, I offer a link to a torrent of an IQ84 mp3
audio book

http://www.demonoid.me/files/download/2786168/35857304

-Allan in WV

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Richard Ryan <himself at richardryan.com>wrote:

> Figured this was the usual corp. shorthand for "First Quarter 84."   But
> would need to read the novel for context.
>
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Bekah <bekah0176 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Yes,  perhaps the whole  idea of lower case "q" is a bit "cutesy."  But
>> it had to cross my mind!   And I do like the cover art as is.  A-and I
>> agree with your point that Orwell's work is not that big a deal in IQ84 -
>> It's there and well taken but under a lot of Murakami's own story,
>>  characters,  themes.
>>
>> I'm not sure if I agree to 1Q84 being  "better than"  The Wind-Up Bird
>> Chronicle or not.  They are both pure-d Murakami down to the cats and the
>> jazz.   I also very much appreciated his last book of short stories.  I
>> also really liked A Wild Sheep Chase.   And yes,  I camp on the
>> metaphorical doorstep waiting for Pynchon, Murakmi and Atwood releases.
>> Do you know that a new novel by Umberto Eco is due this month along with a
>> slim volume of short stories by Delillo?   I await...
>>
>> Bekah
>>
>>
>>
>> On Nov 7, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Tyler Wilson wrote:
>>
>> >
>> > I found 1Q84 fantastic, *probably* my best read this year. But I've
>> gotta disagree about the typesetting of the title: The references to 1984
>> are obvious enough, and have been discussed at length in much of the media
>> and buzz surrounding this release. I found Orwell's work to be really no
>> more than a touchstone though, a leaping off point, and don't feel the
>> relationship between the works goes as deep as people are trying make it.
>> Going with a lc "q" goes too far and is way too "cutesy". I believe Chip
>> Kidd did well to give the U.S. edition a bold, iconic treatment, even
>> breaking up the four characters so they each stand on their own. The
>> reference to 1984 will never be missed by anyone, but as executed,
>> Murakami's work can hold a little more weight all on it's own, as it should.
>> > Regarding the book itself: I found this to be Mr. Murakami's best to
>> date. But in the sense that it is *quintessential* Murakami. The things
>> that make his writing great are done better than ever here, but the
>> drawbacks many folks find may be amplified and there were parts that were
>> downright embarrassing to read. I don't think this book is going to change
>> anyone's opinion of his writing. I can say easily enough however, that I
>> pitch my tent with those who read everything he writes as soon as they can
>> get their hands on it. Not sure what to make of the fact that the novel
>> originally ended after book 2, and that book three was done as an
>> afterthought and released later. Without book 3, it is a much weaker work I
>> feel, and the fact that it came about as it did does say at least a little
>> bit about the author's vision and judgement, imho.
>> > Those are my unsolicited thoughts on the subject. Do what you will with
>> them.
>> > Currently reading: Voss, which is *possibly* my best read this year.
>> We'll see.--T
>> >
>> >
>> > ________________________________
>> >> Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 09:52:09 -0800
>> >> From: markekohut at yahoo.com
>> >> Subject: Fw: NP: 1Q84
>> >> To: bekah0176 at sbcglobal.net
>> >> CC: pynchon-l at waste.org
>> >>
>> >> Bekah----
>> >>
>> >> Yes!....HM shouldda talked to you and the translator.
>> >>
>> >> Mark
>> >>
>> >> ----- Forwarded Message -----
>> >> From: Bekah <bekah0176 at sbcglobal.net>
>> >> To: Paul Mackin <mackin.paul at verizon.net>
>> >> Cc: pynchon-l at waste.org
>> >> Sent: Monday, November 7, 2011 12:41 PM
>> >> Subject: Re: NP: 1Q84
>> >>
>> >> The narrators (two male,  one female - all excellent)  of the audio
>> >> version pronounce it One-Q-Ninety-four.  In my correct o,  it ought to
>> >> have been written out as  "1q84"  so the Qq would actually look like a
>> >> different sort of 9.  Oh well..
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> On Nov 7, 2011, at 8:48 AM, Paul Mackin wrote:
>> >>
>> >>> On 11/7/2011 11:31 AM, Joe Allonby wrote:
>> >>>> Reading 1Q84 next to the beach in Montezuma.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Thought occurred to me that the character Aomame joins the list of
>> >>>> literary female ass-kickers. She has perfected ten different
>> >>>> techniques for effectively kicking a man in the balls. DL and she
>> >>>> would probably get along.
>> >>>>
>> >>> I started it but haven't gotten very far yet.
>> >>>
>> >>> Is the title pronounced Q-teen eighty four?
>> >>>
>> >>> P
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Richard Ryan
> New York and the World
> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
> "The reasonable man adapts himself to the conditions that surround him.
> The unreasonable man adapts surrounding conditions to himself. All progress
> depends on the unreasonable man." - Shaw
>
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://waste.org/pipermail/pynchon-l/attachments/20111120/8b7cf425/attachment.html>


More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list