DeFord by David Shetzline

Erik T. Burns eburns at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 14:29:45 CST 2012

from the wikipedia entry for Shetzline:

Shetzline was friends with both Fariña and Pynchon.[13] As Shetzline
noted regarding the relationship between Farina and Pynchon, “I think
Tom recognized that Richard had a magic with language, that he was
genuinely gifted, and I think Tom recognized that Richard worked with
his gifts, he worked consciously to hone them. Tom always hung back.
You didn’t find out much about his writing from him, but he was always
complaining that he wasn’t getting enough writing done, and that is
the tip-off that somebody is absolutely haunted as a writer. Richard
knew Tom was as serious about writing as he was. I think Pynchon was
also fascinated with Richard’s effect on women, which was powerful.
Pynchon developed a capacity to appeal to women who would then sort of
go after him.”[14] In the foreword to Greening the Lyre, David
Gilcrest described Shetzline as “a true artisan of the pen and fly
rod, has earned my respect and thanks as an exemplar in all things
philosophical and anadromous.”[1