Burroughs?

Henry M scuffling at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 06:22:13 CDT 2012


You read burroughs 50 years ago!  Somtimes it's the listener, and not the
song, ya know, particularly when the listener has no more to say about the
song than that they just didn't think it was very good.

AsB4,
٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶
Henry Mu
http://astore.amazon.com/tdcoccamsaxe-20


On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 6:50 AM, Toby Levy <tobyglevy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I just don't see Burroughs in this light, and I don't see how
> an assumption can be made that a young author was a "fan" simply
> because the older author was on the cover of Life magazine as being
> the new voice of the Beats.
>
> I read Burroughs back in the 60s and I just didn't think he wrote very
> well.
>
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Ian Livingston <igrlivingston at gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 1:32 AM
> Subject: Re: Burroughs?
> To: Toby Levy <tobyglevy at gmail.com>
> Cc: pynchon-l at waste.org
>
>
> On what score? Burroughs was popular among the late beats, the
> beatniks, and the early hippies. Why, from this distance, would we
> assume that an aspiring young writer of considerable genius would not
> be influenced by someone perceived to be moving along the cutting edge
> of culture in his time?
>
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Toby Levy <tobyglevy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just don't think Pynchon would be a fan of Burroughs.  I disagree
> > with your assessment of Burroughs' talents.
> >
> > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> > From: Henry M <scuffling at gmail.com>
> > Date: Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 5:06 PM
> > Subject: Re: Burroughs?
> > To: Pynchon Liste <pynchon-l at waste.org>
> >
> >
> > I have always assume that it was assumed, i.e. without reason other
> > than they're both excellent, cool, and experimental.
> >
> > AsB4,
> > ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶
> > Henry Mu
> > http://astore.amazon.com/tdcoccamsaxe-20
> >
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Toby Levy <tobyglevy at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>
> http://www.artlyst.com/articles/william-s-burroughs-explored-through-his-visual-art
> >>
> >> The above posting claims that Pynchon is a fan of Burroughs. I can't
> >> remember reading this before.  Where does this assertion come from?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Toby
>
>
>
> --
> "Less than any man have I  excuse for prejudice; and I feel for all
> creeds the warm sympathy of one who has come to learn that even the
> trust in reason is a precarious faith, and that we are all fragments
> of darkness groping for the sun. I know no more about the ultimates
> than the simplest urchin in the streets." -- Will Durant
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://waste.org/pipermail/pynchon-l/attachments/20120325/a8306f1c/attachment.html>


More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list