Reading styles

jochen stremmel jstremmel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 11:40:12 CST 2012

Two things, Mark: Firstly, Keith's reported comment by someone, "that
they all sucked", the books Pynchon wrote blurbs for. I certainly have
not read them all, like that someone obviously, but only the four by
FariƱa, Piercy, Matthiessen, De Lillo and can say that Far Tortuga was
a wonderful experience and the other three were certainly very good,
not one that sucked, in my eyes. They didn't change my reading style,
perhaps my reading taste: Far Tortuga certainly widened it.

And after reading nearly everything an author living in Vienna wrote
(the one who started a book of about 400 pages about Hitler and the
nazis in 1933 with the sentence: "Mir faellt zu Hitler nichts ein",
roughly translated as: Nothing occurs to me about Hitler) no other
author was able to change my (German) writing style. My English has no
style to talk (or write home) about.