GR translation: very selectively blighted rainfall

Prashant Kumar siva.prashant.kumar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 06:49:04 CST 2012

Okay so my impression of the passage is of something like an x-y
oscilloscope, with a monochrome colour scale indicating magnitude -- a
black and white tv hooked up to some (appropriately modulated) signal
source (though, this may not make sense since I don't think such things
were around, except perhaps for a particularly noise radar display).The
first line then indicates controls. The "diverging oscillations" are
instabilities in the signal -- the "swings of these playgrounds higher than
a certain angle from the vertical" refers to some sort of upper magnitude
for the oscilloscope, or, more likely, the signal source. The rest of the
imaginary, in the next two sentences, refers to the "quality" of the signal
-- its behaviour in the time domain. Imagine the movements on a staticky TV
screen: valleys, moss , "rainy" days all describe the undulating signal and
noise -- the latter the malignly playful "white surprise" in parentheses.
Pynchon even mentions brown noise <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_noise>,
the "withering, spin-sterish brown"; now he's describing the frequency
domain of the signal. There are two "domains" in frequency analysis; the
time domain, or a real time plot of the signal, and the frequency domain.
Frequency here refer to how often the signal changes sign, postive and
negative. You see, every signal can be thought of as a weighted sum of
standard sine waves  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_series>, and the
frequency domain is a plot of the frequencies of the sine waves against
their magnitude. This is important since the frequency of the signal
affects the behaviour of your circuit.

This explains the "blighted rainfall", both in the image of the "white"
noise being blighted with "brown", but also with latter being a
transformation of the former (see wiki). The section from "back streets..."
on is describing the visual of the frequency domain sharp peaks, corners
etc around angles of hedge, "across freaks of the optical daytime", that
is, components (peaks) in the frequency domain in the range 400-800*10^12
-- very high frequency for microwave equipment. Normally a "natural" (read:
close to direct current; no alternation and a a frequency close to 0)
signal will have many low and few high frequency components. Thus the move
"out of the region of streets .. and into the countryside". Our heart
starts to feel afraid: the higher the frequency of an electromagnetic wave,
the higher the energy.

P.