More proof that there are no fascists

Iris Sirius irissiriustce at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 00:26:02 CST 2013


Exactly.  I agree with every tangle Brook Seven says.

We can go way deeper.
On Jan 25, 2013 5:35 PM, "Joseph Tracy" <brook7 at sover.net> wrote:

> Yea I just don't know how I missed the end of those days  when a great
> many seemingly   "serious people" made claims that the US acts as a force
> of and for democracy and human rights. Certainly the rhetoric has not
> diminished, nor the number of people who use it in order to qualify to be
> taken seriously.     So I take it this means you like Obama because  almost
> everything he says is said with the understanding that none of it is to be
> taken seriously? I mean sure he is very affable and seems to have a nice
> family,  but I hear that was said of Bernie Madoff.
> On Jan 23, 2013, at 4:54 PM, alice wellintown wrote:
>
> >> Do our secret trials and executive killings set a good example of how
> Democracy should operate?
> >
> > This "our" you speak of is the USA. So, implicit in this question is
> > the conservative idea that the USA is an exceptional nation state that
> > sets examples for other nations in the world. But this conservative
> > claim is propaganda. Sure, there was a time when this claim had some
> > truth in it, but post-Vietnam and Watergate it has little serious
> > calim to truth, and surely after 9-11, few if any serious people,
> > people who understand the complexity of the world, make such claims or
> > employ them implicitly in questions hey expect others to take
> > seriously. but, then, you seem to be saying something here, so maybe
> > it is that Democracy doesn't work or that the USA is not a Democracy
> > or not a Democracy worth copying or looking up to.
> >
> > So, we can say that the USA is not a Democracy. That wuz easy.
> >
> > Now what?
> >
> > We can still get information about its evildoings and we can bash them
> > without fear,
> >
> > So, better than most nations in the world, but still not worthy of
> emulatiion.
> >
> > OK, so the President is a killer. Why does this shock you, Joe? You
> > seem like a guy who knows more than his high school textbook taught
> > him about history and governments.
> >
> > I kike Obama; voted for him twice. I don't like the drones or the NJ
> > Prisons or the dress his wife wore to the party or the fact that I
> > have lost so many, so many, Joe, and still, in harms way are so many
> > so precious to me, but I can live with him.
> >
> > Demecracy is nice word. ANd being the USA is a complex thing.
> >
> > We doin OK. Not bad, Getting better.
> >
> > The glass is half full.
> >
> > Dig?
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://waste.org/pipermail/pynchon-l/attachments/20130127/1a731482/attachment.html>


More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list