The ugly truth of science

Kai Frederik Lorentzen lorentzen at hotmail.de
Mon Jun 17 05:12:51 CDT 2013

 > ... the nature of Humanity.  Science is its subset.

Well, your word "science" could be replaced by nearly any other word.
Try 'law', 'politics', 'family', 'art', 'sport', 'economy', or
'education'. Claiming "the nature of (h)umanity" is seldom wrong but
hardly ever helpful. As Joseph says: The debate is about the
socio-historical evolution of concrete social systems (or 'forms', or
'figurations', or 'spheres'), here science. It's not about the human
hardware.

My suggestion to people who feel the need to defend science on this list:

Show where Pynchon speaks in favor of science!

Question: Why is /Vineland/'s Weed Atman a mathematician?

http://kasmana.people.cofc.edu/MATHFICT/mfview.php?callnumber=mf591