Tim & Eric videos

Markekohut markekohut at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 5 18:30:21 CDT 2013


Yes, Yes, Yes, as I hinted at........P is making fun of being made fun of.....of himself as auteur..
Listen again to all the words out of the macher's mouth....



Sent from my iPad

On Sep 5, 2013, at 11:30 AM, Tyler Wilson <tbsqrd at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I’ll admit, too, that the trailer does little for me. But then, why should it? Myself, everyone on this list, is going to pick up a copy. And then, since when has P or his publisher been seriously concerned with marketing his *books*, really?
>  
> I’ve no idea how quickly this thing was put together, so I may be off here, but: it feels very much like a response to the first ‘graph of Boris Kachka’s 8/25 piece:
>  
> “Let’s get a few things straight. First of all, it’s pronounced “Pynch-ON.” Second, the great and bewildering and, yes, very private novelist is not exactly a recluse. In select company, he’s intensely social and charismatic, and, in spite of those famously shaming Bugs Bunny teeth, he was rarely without a girlfriend for the 30 years he spent wandering and couch-surfing before getting married in 1990. Today, he’s a yuppie—self-confessed, if you read his new novel, Bleeding Edge, as a key to the present life of a man whose travels led one critic to reflect: “Salinger hides; Pynchon runs.” Now Pynchon hides in plain sight, on the Upper West Side, with a family and a history of contradictions: a child of the postwar Establishment determined to reject it; a postmodernist master who’s called himself a “classicist”; a workaholic stoner; a polymath who revels in dirty puns; a literary outsider who’s married to a literary agent; a scourge of capitalism who sent his son to private school and lives in a $1.7 million prewar classic six.”
>  
> http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/thomas-pynchon-bleeding-edge.html
>  
>  
> And while the trailer may not be about the *book*--and I haven’t had the honor of reading it yet, so can’t say for sure--it is very much about the internet and what passes for “phenomena” on it. The book too is very much about the internet, I gather. And this is very much the kind of indirect, not-obvious, way P works. And it duz create buzz.
>  
> Anyway, the more I mull it over, the smarter it seems. Even though my first reaction was “this is embarrassing.” I think the real question is: embarrassing to *who* and *why exactly*? There’s some relevant self-knowledge somewhere down that track..
> --
> T
> 
> > Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 23:15:04 +1000
> > Subject: Re: Tim & Eric videos
> > From: sundayjb at gmail.com
> > To: markekohut at yahoo.com
> > CC: pynchon-l at waste.org
> > 
> > But it's completely antithetical to Bleeding Edge, and Pynchon's
> > writing in general. Not in a dialectical way...
> > 
> > The trailer really feels like the work of someone who not only hasn't
> > read this book but hasn't read anything by this author. Normally I'd
> > champion that original position but I can't figure how this thing came
> > about. Is the dude Jackson Pynchon, perhaps? I can honestly say that
> > the trailer has almost nothing to do with the novel...
> > 
> > On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM, Markekohut <markekohut at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > O yeah......this way it is REAL! ....so the doers say...
> > >
> > > Sent from my iPad
> > >
> > > On Sep 5, 2013, at 8:00 AM, Markekohut <markekohut at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >> Someone who knows (some of) this kind of online stuff told me that the Bleeding Edge trailer is in
> > >> An online tradition. Perhaps started by Tim & Eric YouTube and similar: willfully low-production value....point of that is part of the irony....which he describes, as the trailer is, as " irony squared"
> > >> This is hardly worth doing better because.....why?....who has time....it is just for fun anyway.....
> > >>
> > >> Sent from my iPad
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://waste.org/pipermail/pynchon-l/attachments/20130905/ee835b10/attachment.html>


More information about the Pynchon-l mailing list