Group Read: BLEEDING EDGE: The Cutting Edge
Joe Allonby
joeallonby at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 11:02:06 CDT 2013
When do we start?
On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM, John Bailey <sundayjb at gmail.com> wrote:
> I for one (two, three easy as Do, Re, Mi) can't wait to see what Alice
> makes of BE. She lived there once, and might guide us down the rabbit
> hole.
>
> SPOILER tag for one month sounds good, though.
>
> And I'm thinking we might need some kind of mega
> YouTube/Spotify/iTunes/steam/whatever linklist. I spent ages sourcing
> a bunch of hard-to-find songs after reading IV, but that now seems
> easy given what's in BE. It's like Inception. You need to go deeper.
>
> On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 11:58 PM, Mark Kohut <markekohut at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I say YES to SPOILER tag (as I let certain speed readers of Inherent Vice
>> fill up some of my supposed mind)
>>
>> From: Prashant Kumar <siva.prashant.kumar at gmail.com>
>> To: pynchon -l <pynchon-l at waste.org>
>> Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2013 9:54 AM
>> Subject: Re: Group Read: BLEEDING EDGE: The Cutting Edge
>>
>> Agree with David and the gang above (except possibly Alice (?); what's up
>> dude.): a month to read and let one's own opinions settle before diving into
>> a designated list discussion.
>>
>> And I also want to propose the use of a [SPOILER] tag for threads about BE,
>> for the month following release.
>>
>> P.
>>
>>
>> On 14 September 2013 22:32, Henry M <scuffling at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm with David and Ian. Not only have I and we always had the opportunity
>> for individual reads before group ones, but I will be visiting Iceland 21-15
>> October, and will therefor not be available to... spar in Iceland.
>> (Apparently they call it Silverberg in Iceland, I want me a piece!)
>>
>>
>> Yours truly,
>> ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶
>> Henry Musikar, CISSP
>> http://astore.amazon.com/tdcoccamsaxe-20
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 7:31 PM, Ian Livingston <igrlivingston at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Well, fwiw, I agree with David's approach, but due to circumstances, it
>> looks like I'll have to save the discussions either way and read them when I
>> get to read the book.
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Markekohut <markekohut at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> Others?
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Sep 13, 2013, at 7:00 PM, David Morris <fqmorris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I won't join nor read any group read that starts before 10/17, for reasons
>> stated. A first read should be solo, IMHO.
>>
>> On Friday, September 13, 2013, David Morris wrote:
>>
>> Two thoughts from me about a BE group read:
>>
>> 1. However many pages or chapters a week are deemed reasonable, I think one
>> group "segment" per week is best. One "host" per week, covering a specified
>> number of pages, with all others able to supply their own agendas on those
>> pages as well. More than one "segment" per week will quickly lose the group
>> read altogether. People have lives, you know?
>>
>> 2. If BE is Pynchon-lite (no endless GR sentences), then 60 pages or so a
>> week might be reasonable. But if there is real depth in BE, I think slower
>> is better. I hope BE demands slower...
>>
>> 3. The group read shouldn't start until at least a month after the official
>> release so the we can read it solo first, without a P-list glancing over the
>> shoulder.
>>
>> David Morris
>>
>> On Friday, September 13, 2013, Mark Kohut wrote:
>>
>> Natalie Portinari: "I'm in, Mark. I'm too excited to read this book to do it
>> all alone. Does anyone else want to join?"
>>
>> Natalia and I invite you to join. A Group Read was/is one of the meanings of
>> the plist, right?
>>
>> I have been able to learn of chapter and pagination breaks from someone who
>> has an ARC.
>>
>> 41 short chapters. 479 pages. So, @12 pages per average chapter. I propose
>> we sign up for
>> hosting @2 chapters every two days??!! (equals one chapter a day for the
>> busiest of us. And, doing ahead
>> after 9/17 will be easy, right?).
>>
>> 6 chapters a week---want to take Saturday or Sunday off?--means @ 7 weeks to
>> finish. Done by Halloween(!), that DeepWeb holiday!
>> I will sign up for the first two. PLEASE JUMP ON BOARD, he says plaintively.
>> (Otherwise I'll do it all to universal blocking, I'm sure.
>> Or I won't) . As has been indicated, it is just another mystery, so easy to
>> read, right?
>>
>> We will all still post about all of it, or other parts that strike us, I'm
>> sure. (But the civility of SPOILER ALERT
>> for most details might be worth a vote?)
>>
>> Old-fashioned: first page of Chap 1 is 1. & I will probably comment on the
>> epigraph to start, since, I do.
>> Chap 1 1---7 Mark K.
>> Chap 2. 8--19 Mark K.
>> chap. 3. 20--29
>> chap 4. 30--40
>> Chap 5. 41--52
>> chap. 6. 53--67
>> Chap. 7. 68--79
>> Chap 8. 80--86
>> Chap. 9. 87--95
>> Chap. 10. 96--111
>> Chap. 11. 112--119
>> Chap. 12. 120--131
>> Chap. 13. 132--142
>> Chap. 14. 143--157
>> Chap 15. 158 --169
>> Chap 16. 170--182
>> Chap 17. 183-195
>> Chap 18. 196-208
>> Chap 19. 209-216
>> Chap 20. 217-227
>> Chap 21. 228- 236
>> Chap 22. 237-244
>> Chap 23. 245--253
>> Chap 24. 254--262
>> Chap 25. 263--272
>> Chap 26. 273-286
>> Chap 27. 287-299
>> Chap 28. 300-312
>> Chap 29. 313-325
>> Chap 30. 326-336
>> Chap 31. 337--346
>> Chap 32. 347-353
>> Chap 33. 354--365
>> Chap 34. 366--383
>> Chap 35. 384--395
>> Chap 36. 396--409
>> Chap 37. 410-- 424
>> Chap 38. 425--440
>> Chap 39. 441--449
>> Chap 40. 450--464
>> Chap 41. 465--479
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
More information about the Pynchon-l
mailing list