"Sell Out with Me Tonight"

Kai Frederik Lorentzen lorentzen at hotmail.de
Mon Aug 25 10:19:23 CDT 2014

To me the loss of intensity that came with seasons 4 and 5 was a real
disappointment. While the idea to extend the story to the societal
spheres of education and the media is understandable, the basic
narrative structure is not able to carry it in a convincing way. The
plausibility of the action decreases, and moralism becomes more
important. Not a good thing in terms of art. Season 2, on the other
hand, I perceived as excellent. Without it the whole thing wouldn't make
sense. To understand the new drug economy unfolding from season 1 on,
you have to know about the traditional economy. The rationalization of
Baltimore's harbor and what the unions try to do about it. Only with the
economic picture completed like this, season 3 can deal with the local
politics in a complex way. And Chris Bauer's screen acting as Frank
Sobotka is among the very best of the whole serial. In my opinion, that is.