The Goldfinch

Becky Lindroos bekker2 at me.com
Mon May 12 16:16:04 CDT 2014

I mean I was looking at "The Goldfinch" as more or less a fun story, well enough written, interesting but not challenging on any (normal)  level, hopefully better than Tartt's prior book, "The Little Friend,"  maybe (possibly) as good as her best, "The Secret History" ( which was extraordinary but no Against the Day!). "The Goldfinch" was in the middle somewhere, a bit baggy but magical in some way - More on a level with Mark Helprin's new one, "In Sunlight and in Shadow," but nowhere near as good as his best,  "Winter's Tale."  Like Richard Powers' "The Echo Maker," but nowhere near "The Gold Bug Variations."

The only Pynchon resonating amongst these good and not so good books is Bleeding Edge with the also rans and Vineland with the best.

Specifically, I can't compare further. Only DeLillo's best, maybe Morrison's 1 best, can compare with Pynchon's 3 best (maybe 3 of Faulkner's,  McCarthy's Blood Meridian").

Still! Yes, I enjoyed The Goldfinch although it was too long by about 60 pages, dragged there for awhile and got rather out of control, sprawl-wise, but generally, it was a fun book.

Bekah