The Future of Work (Late, Late, Capitalism)

alice malice alicewmalice at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 20:25:20 CST 2014

Well, they live in the same world the rest of us live in. What they
need is work. We shouldn't hold our breath for any national policy to
retrain or support displaced workers, the cyclical or structural
unemployed, underemployed, marginally attached, etc.  And, the
narrative has been written; these folks are going to have to suffer;
there will be lip service and talk, but no policy. We need to invest a
lot of money in education, training, technology, infrastructure....but
this will only get growth to 3-4% in the developed nations, and this
only in expansions and peaks of the business cycle, on average we will
grow at 1.5%.  The world has shifted, capital has shifted, growth is
elsewhere, in catch-up phase Emerging Markets and in newly developing
economies like China and India. There is nothing in Capitalism that
will temper the inequality. In catch-up labor may temper the abuse by
Capital, but labor is dead in the OECD. It's hopeless really. Buy
stocks and cross your fingers. Buy the dollar. Short gold.

-
Pynchon-l / http://www.waste.org/mail/?list=pynchon-l