NP but Sebald, Vollman and Germany

matthew cissell mccissell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 03:20:47 CST 2014

Mark,

  Thanks for sending that on, I've been looking at Sebald of late in part
because of how J Wood champions him even as Wood berates Pynchon. This
article sheds some light on Woods love of Sebald's fiction. They have in
common a disdain regarding "avant gardist" literature and a desire for a
documentary approach with all of the gravitas and seriousness that Wood
seems to demand of writers.

   What does Kai think of Sebald's view of Arno Schmidt? Kai, can you add
to this? Anything more to this literary kerkuffle? Schmidt died in 1979,
well before Sebald's first book in '88 so they weren't contemporaries per
se. Is this comparable to Roddy Doyle's comment about Joyce needing a good
editor for Ulysses?

all the best for my p-list peeps
mc otis